How to Keep Ants Out
Worker ants with their tireless trails and activity are fascinating to watch outdoors.
But when they find a way into our homes from unseen cracks and crevices, or open doors and windows, they become a real problem. Ants can suddenly appear in the kitchen, laundry room, around rubbish bins or other places where they can access some type of food scraps or spills.
Ants have one thing on their radar, food.
Ants are omnivorous and can eat almost anything which makes our kitchens and other food sources in the home a primary target.
Over the Summer months worker ants look for food supply and bring food back to the queen ant and the new young. Worker ants are also explore new places where they can build new colonies – so making sure you have the right tools to stop them in their tracks will help to prevent them making themselves comfortable in your home.
- It takes 8-10 weeks for an eggs to hatch.
- Their species date back to the Cretaceous period (130 million years ago).* – Which means their survival skills are second to none.
- Queen garden ants can live up to 15 years.
- A typical colony has about 5,000 up to 15,000 worker ants.
4 ways to stop them marching into your home:
- Keep food off the bench tops. Food left out encourages them to come inside and get stuck into your left overs or any sticky sweet treats that may be lying around.
- Look for any cracks or crevices around the kitchen and seal these to prevent these pesky invaders having any easy access point.
- Arm yourself with some preventative insecticide that will help to keep them out of your home.
- If you have a large colony in your gardens or yard, consider ridding these nests through either DIY solutions or pest control services.
Having the right tools for the job is important to keep your home protected.
The Ecomist Sniper is designed specifically for spraying borders like window sills, doors, and the periphery of the home and yard. The Sniper dries fast and acts as an invisible but highly effective barrier for them and other creepy crawlers. The fast acting formula kills insects on contact. For indoor and outdoor use.
Maintaining an ant free environment can be accomplished by using the Ecomist dispenser set on the Normal or High setting over the Summer months.
The Ecomist Insect Spray with Natural Pyrethrins target ants if they do make their way into the home.
Ecomist also offer pest control services, you can check out our services here.