Cockroaches are the stuff of most people’s nightmares, mainly because of their creepy crawly, 6 legged nature but few realise the real impact cockroaches can make in your home. They are prime for spreading diseases and have various other health risks, such us Salmonella, dysentery & Gastro-enteritis. You may also see increases in eczema and childhood asthma, these have been linked to cockroach droppings. Most cockroaches like to be warm and sheltered, so this winter your home can soon start to look like their home too.
Their ability to breed rapidly and their resilience means that a professional service is usually the most reliable form of control. Only expert products and solutions are powerful enough to eliminate all stages of their lifecycle.
To ensure your home isn’t infested, start with these simple tips:
1. Remove all food access
If you can deprive them of food and water, they will soon be un-attracted to your home.
– Do not leave and water out in sinks, pet bowls or buckets
– Do not leave any food sitting out, cover it in fridges and pantries. If it needs to stay out cover it in a tightly sealed container
– Rinse out all recycled items before putting them in the recycling
– Take out and empty all rubbish and compost daily
– Keep shelves in pantries and store cupboards clean and tidy of food and clutter
2. Clean and clean again
– Wipe down all food preparation surfaces after use
– Clean waste food and liquid spillage with attention to under sinks and appliances, such as microwaves, ovens, stovetops, extractor fans, dishwashers and fridges.
– Remove/cover pet food and drink
– Vacuum and/or sweep on a regular basis
3. De clutter
Did you know, cockroaches release a pheromone in their droppings which signal to others they have found a safe place to live
– Remove excess clutter e.g. stacks of newspapers and magazines
– Removing clutter over all, throughout the home will reduce the amount of areas where the cockroaches can hide.
4. Look out for any cracks and gaps
– Seal off cracks and gaps
– Seal off holes around pipes, lights and wall fixtures
5. Professional cockroach treatment
– Aside from taking all these prevention methods, the best and fastest way to get rid of cockroaches is to contact Professional pest control.
Enquire about our pest management solutions and ongoing pest control maintenance programmes customised to suit your needs.
If you have discovered a pest infestation or have a pest question, just give us a call.